Monday, October 28, 2013

Night Time Skin Care Routine

Hello,

This is the night time skin care routine that has worked for me for approximately two years. I currently have normal -combination skin.

BACKGROUND: I had normal skin all my life and had never suffered with acne. 5 years ago, I started experiencing cysts on my chin. They would last for weeks (sometimes months) and were sometimes painful. When this began happening to me I started my obsession with makeup as I was determined to hide the cysts that had become an annoying part of my face. Long story short - I tested and tried hundreds of kinds of makeup and skin care product and finally found what works for me! The 'cysts on my chin' phase lasted about 1 year and never returned. I have had none for years now.

Before I introduce the face products for my night time skin care routine I want to say that I had also gone to see a dermatologist who after less then 60 seconds had tried to encourage me to go on harsh acne medications. I refused, knowing the side effects but also because I would only have a maximum of 4 of these cysts at a time! I didn't have severe acne. I asked if there was another kind of cream I could try and he prescribed me the following:

Clindoxyl (Apply once a day: AM)
Tactuo (Apply once a day: PM)

I strongly encourage trying these product before taking any harsh medications. I believe they played a big part in my skin improvement.

Now, on to the products I've found work really well to keep my skin clear and healthy looking. I have used products that seemed to strip my skin of the 'natural glow' and would create a lot of redness and irritation. Yes, these products helped to keep my skin clear but I then went on a mission to find less-harsh products.

Everynight, the first product I use is eyemakeup remover. The following is by Neutrogena and has a somewhat thick creamy consistency that I apply with my finger on my eye's to remove waterproof mascara...layers and layers of waterproof mascara. I love this stuff. I let it sit on my lashes for almost a minute before I wash my face.



The next product I use is to remove all my makeup and is by Vichy. It is made for sensitive skin and is a paraben free cleansing milk. *I apologize for how beat up it looks but I'm telling you I use the crap out of this stuff*.  This has a great, fresh scent and helps get rid of my coverup and eye makeup. I sometimes use a full coverage, waterproof coverup (Estee Lauder Double Wear) so I feel this step is necessary to ensure I've taken off all my makeup.




Third is another product by Vichy that is very gentle but gives me a slight bit more of a clean after the cleansing milk removed the makeup. It is a foam formulated for sensitive skin and has a great slight floral scent.




Fourth, I use a pea-size amount of of this product by PeterThomasRoth. It is a Glycolic Acid Facial Wash. Now, I only use this on my chin where cysts had been prone to appear...I do not use it anywhere else on my face as it is more on the 'harsh' side when it comes to facial cleansers. It has no specific scent. Be sure to rinse off very well as it can cause your skin to be flaky otherwise.



After washing my face I use Bioderma with a cotton pad to remove any makeup that may be left on face (especially useful when I wear full coverage foundation's that stick to the skin). I love this stuff...it also removes waterproof mascara flawlessly. Just be sure to not tug at you're eyes when using cotton pad to remove makeup- be gentle! Next, I apply my eye cream. Right now I am using NeoStrata eye firming moisturizer. Face moisturizer is the next step and I use the Neutrogena oil-free brand for sensitive skin. Also, Once or twice a week (depending on my skin) I will not use the Neutrogena and apply vitamin e by Jamieson. It makes my skin look great the next day.




This is a lightening gel I use on areas that have the beginning of the dreaded 'sun spots' or 'age spots,' It has to be purchased over-the-counter at the pharmacy. If used consistently it does reduce the appreance of spots.


Now my secret for longer lashes. I use Rapid Lash and I swear by this. My lashes look longer and thicker thanks to this stuff! Just need a quick swipe of this magic wand on my lash line before bed every night.



Lastly I need to moisturize my lips every night and I've been loving this little guy by Vaseline. This particular one has coco butter and smells delicious.




I hope this offers some options for people to try out. Let me know if you love these products (or not) and if you tried them, share your experiences!

XoX

No comments:

Post a Comment